Who we are
Texas AHEC East, Piney Woods Region is a non-profit organization founded in 1992 with the commitment to build healthier communities throughout East Texas by:
- Presenting health career information to elementary,
junior high, and senior high classes, and adults.
- Facilitating community-based learning for health professions
- Providing continuing education programs required by
health professionals to maintain their certifications.
- Serving as an information resource center for health
care professionals, students, and other community members.
- Focusing on building community health systems through
collaborative programs linking local leadership with educational institutions
and clinical resources.
Piney Woods AHEC Mission
Texas AHEC East, Piney Woods Region seeks to improve the health of our communities by developing a quality health workforce and helping address unmet health needs.
Texas AHEC East, Piney Woods Region is a sponsored program of Stephen F. Austin State University and a regional division of Texas AHEC East. The Texas AHEC East program office, located in Galveston, Texas, serves 111 counties. Piney Woods Region is one of nine centers developed to coordinate programs specific to the needs and characteristics of the communities in its service region. Our region includes these counties: